Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Still no internet

A month after ordering an internet connection, the first steps towards that were taken today. Though I ordered DSL from Fastweb, the Telecom Italia had to come and check to make sure that the line is active. I thought this was just a formality and that I'd have internet soon, but this being Italy, I was sadly mistaken. A guy from the Telecom came today (on time!) after having called last week to tell me when he would be coming so I would be at home. After checking the phone jack in the living room, which apparently didn't have a signal, he opened up a box in the entrance hall and found a disconnected cable. He only spoke Italian, but I caught something about 2 people coming back and 5 stories, so I'm guessing they have to lay a new line up to the apartment. He didn't know when he or the other people would be coming by to do that - today, tomorrow, next week, only that they'd call beforehand. In the meantime, I'm still only able to access the internet in the office.

In the evening, I met Max and Caren again, this time to go to dinner, as well as gelato afterwards. Since my apartment is outside the city, I don't see much of the city at night, so it was nice to do that for a change and eat gelato on the steps of the Duomo.

No comments: